Thursday, February 28, 2008

A little progress

We have now met with two realtors and have to make a decision about which one to work with. We have done a HUGE amount of work on the house over the last month - hardwood floors in two bedrooms, painting one full room and tidying up closets, trim, radiators and windows in other rooms, repairs in the basement and many other little things. Paul has a list of projects which now have the label "If I knew it was that easy, I would have done that ages ago". This weekend Paul's parents are coming to help put a new floor in the half-bath and paint another room. I am going to see about getting new cushions for two chairs and a sofa. These are part of my grandparent's "Imperial Loyalist" maple furniture set purchased in the 1930s. I wonder how many times the original price the new cushions are going to be?

I have been watching the homes available for lease in the Greenville area. I realize I was spoiled growing up where I did. I never walked more than 10 minutes to school (no busing either). We were within walking distance of Point Pleasant Park, several playgrounds, convenience, grocery and drug stores, the library and Spring Garden Road. Peter's, one of the best pizza places in Hfx, is still on Inglis Street and there used to be a chinese restaurant there too. And, of course, there is Schooner Books. Many of the homes in Greenville have no trees in the yards, no sidewalks out front and are miles from schools, shopping and community centres and libraries. There is a new Traditional Neighborhood Design development by the same people who designed Seaside, Florida called Griffin Park. Unfortunately, it isn't all that close to Paul's work, and certainly not to Isabelle's school. I haven't found anything for lease there and even if I did it would likely blow our budget. Despite this, I keep watching since it would be an interesting experience as an urban/municipal planner watching the community develop. Maybe it would count towards my professional practice experience?!

Yes, Isabelle is only three and doesn't start school until September 2009 but yes, we have already picked a school for her. Michelin runs a private french school in Greenville so it seems only right that she go there. Paul speaks french exclusively with her and I do what I can but since everything else in her life is english she tends to speak english, even to Paul. Now I just have to find a good boarding kennel for Maggie in Greenville, and a dog park...

1 comment:

Taryn said...

Talk about a complete change for you...holy moly. But you are seeing it as an adventure and that will help. Just think of the possibilities! Good luck with the renos...